Extended Baby Wearing for the Autistic Child



My first child came into my life at 15 months old as my step-son. I was 19, had no idea what I was doing and I had no idea that he was on the spectrum. Those days were hard! But, I remember being at a local sugar shack the winter he was 2 years old and tying him on to my back with a sarong just to make sure he was safe and happy while being able to maneuver through the crowds. It worked. One of the first things I asked for when I got pregnant with my daughter was an Ergo baby carrier. She lived in it until my second son was born and he stole it! Now at 5, I still occasionally use the Ergo for my daughter and she still loves it. It has been one of our best assets for safety and has allowed me to be independent with all 3 children. My younger son is 3 now and I am still wearing him frequently for a few reasons I'd like to share.

Reduced Meltdowns
My younger son is tamultuous, his moods can change with no warning and usually for the worst. Cooking dinner is often a huge challenge. My solution? I wear him! He instantly calms, gets to watch me cook over my shoulder and I get dinner done somewhat on time. The pressure of being held close to my body and the feeling of having my attention accomplishes this.

Safety
Children on the spectrum usually do not understand common dangers like parking lots, strangers and the edges of walls/cliffs. Depending on the age, they also will not stop when you yell, they just run faster toward the danger. Wearing my kids enables me to know they are safe and also frees up my hands for another one! 

Bonding
Everyone needs touch, children with Autism included! I have always been fascinated by the way babies bond through touch, their first means of learning and communication. They nuzzle, grasp and melt into you when you hold them skin to skin. Wearing them past infancy continues this method of bonding which is important when your little one cannot communicate with language well or at all. Nothing is more satisfying as a parent than being what your child needs even if that means wearing them like a backpack well past the age others stop wearing their kids.

I recently switched to a toddler carrier which is designed for children starting at the clothing size 2T with a maximum weight allowance of 60 pounds. What a difference! My son is more comfortable and so am I.

So how do I wear a three year old little boy? I usually prefer to wear him on my back. For years I have been using the "Santa toss" method of getting him back there with no help ( cross your arms and facing your child grab them by the upper arms, lift and swing them like a backpack onto your back). Once he is on my back I lean over so he is laying on my back and reach down for the straps holding them away until they are up so not to make his shirt ride up. Adjust a bit then tighten all straps to comfort. When I front carry it is usually because I need to sit or I put him in sleeping from the carseat.

Extended babywearing is one of my ways to make parenting special needs children easier, but I have a feeling it is benefiting my child even more.

Comments

Popular Posts